Stay are co-ordinating a community response to COVID-19 in Telford and Wrekin, working with existing voluntary and community groups and connecting people that need support to assets in their local community.
We will be working in partnership with Telford and Wrekin Public Health, Telford and Wrekin Council, West Mecia Police, the Fire Service and the NHS.
Stay Telford is a registered charity (no. 1066948) and has been running for 30 years.
• Co-ordinate community action – Telford and Wrekin is well blessed with active voluntary, community and faith based organisations and volunteers that will be developing plans to support vulnerable people. There will be an additional groundswell of local people wanting to play a role in supporting COVID-19 efforts. Stay will look to harness this support in a safe and effective manner ensuring efforts are well co-ordinated and duplication is minimised.
• Explore the establishment of a Virtual COVID-19 Support Network. We envisage these will involve colleagues from Telford & Wrekin Council, the Police, voluntary sector organisations and groups, Fire Service, NHS and other colleagues. These will explore options for mobilising sector support for vulnerable and excluded groups.
• Provide information and key messages to local voluntary, community and faith based organisations about COVID-19 and understanding from them what assistance they need to continue to provide support particularly to vulnerable groups.
• Engage with the sector to support business continuity.
• Explore with the sector, how it can provide new support to vulnerable adults that need to self-isolate or who are stressed and anxious about COVID-19
• Support for residents in Telford and Wrekin – sharing public health information to help keep residents informed of the ongoing and fast moving situation.
Organisations and groups:
If your organisation or group would like to be part of a COVID-19 Support Network to explore options for mobilising local support for vulnerable people, please complete the form here
If you are interested in registering as an essential Key Worker volunteer to help support local vulnerable people, please complete the form here
Help for your voluntary organisation or community group
What can voluntary and community organisations in Telford & Wrekin do to prepare for Coronavirus?
At this stage, one of the most useful things that organisations can do is to think about how their organisation will cope if a high proportion of their staff or volunteers become ill or unavailable at the same time, and what steps you might take to avoid this happening. Many of these steps involve reducing the time people spend together in order to reduce the chances of Coronavirus spreading between them (and affecting a lot of the people you work with at the same time).
Remember that people may be unable to work even if they have not become ill themselves – it could be, for example, because schools have closed and people need to stay at home to care for their children.
Voluntary organisations and community groups may find useful information on the government’s webpage for businesses and voluntary sector organisations. Some of the information will also be relevant to smaller community groups and to volunteers as well as staff. This includes information on when employees should stay away from work, how to respond to employees who need to take time off work, and how to clean premises after someone develops Coronavirus.
Health and Care
The government advice for social and community care providers may be useful to a number of voluntary sector organisations and community groups:
The full list of government guidance can be found here:
Where to look for information on charity finance and fundraising:
Charity Finance Group general information: https://cfg.org.uk/coronavirus_guide
Institute of Fundraising information: https://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/news/information-for-fundraisers-about-coronavirus/
Where to look for information about managing your organisation:
NCVO advice and information for voluntary and community organisations: https://www.ncvo.org.uk/practical-support/information/coronavirus
Acas employment advice: https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus
Business continuity planning for charities and voluntary organisations from the Charity Finance Group: https://www.cfg.org.uk/covid19_what_planning_should_charities_be_undertaking
Where to find posters and resources for your place of work or community venue:
Public information materials can be downloaded from Public Health England at: https://campaignresources.phe.gov.uk/resources/campaigns/101/resources/5016
Information from Telford and Wrekin Council including council statements, useful videos and travel advice con be found here: https://www.telford.gov.uk/info/20692/coronavirus_covid-
Latest updates from The Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Foundation Trust: https://www.sath.nhs.uk/patients-visitors/coronavirus/